COPickyEats Colorado Springs restaurants

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Colorado Mountain Brewery


I should have known better to check my urban spoon app for the rating on Colorado Mountain Brewery before waiting for a table at a restaurant that can be best described as mediocre. And that is being polite….I hate a bad meal. It was so dreadful that we ended up going to Burger King afterwards so my husband could get the horrid taste out of his mouth.


Now where do I begin….the décor was attractive giving the customer a false sense of possibly having a good meal to come. But little did we know how the night would end. We order our drinks which were a lemon drop martini and a pale ale called the Hefeweissen. The lemon drop was tart and I could tell the vodka was not top shelf but that was my fault for not saying something to our waiter beforehand. The pale ale was a wild boutique of fruity undertones which was actually quiet overwhelming. Needless to say my husband was not a fan.




 We perused the menu while asking our waiter for suggestions and then we eye-balled other tables’ meals to determine what we should order for our meals. While reviewing the menu I noticed something interesting in the ingredients; not one item on the meal was simple it was all an overindulgence in fusion recipes. Fusion recipes can be exciting and interesting for your taste buds if executed properly i.e. don’t go overboard with herbs and spices.




We started our meal with a cup of the three cheese beer soup that had parmesan croutons and freshly chopped jalapeños for a little kick. The soup was creamy and spicy; I really enjoyed the combination.


Hence I was looking forward to the main course. I had chosen the herb & gorgonzola crusted beef tenderloin; normally this meal comes with Brussels sprouts with bacon but I had a rather lengthy conversation with the waiter that I don't eat pork so I substituted the asparagus and put the gorgonzola sauce on the side.  The meal also came with a twice baked potato which I thought didn’t have bacon in it. Well, my meal came and guess what happened…. the potato had bacon in it. At this point the manager happened to come over to our table and I discussed with her that I was frustrated that on the menu bacon wasn't described in the potato. She seemed flustered because she kept interrupting me by repeating "I am sorry"; rather then listening to my concern. It seems that poor customer service is an issue at this local spot since many other patrons on Urban Spoon describe the same poor quality service. A solution was finally met and garlic mashed potatoes were brought out instead. I thought the garlic potatoes were smooth and creamy and all in all delightful and the asparagus was lightly grilled just how I like it.




But the beef tenderloin was horrid. Beef tenderloin is usually tender, lean and juicy; but what I received was chewy and fatty. The paste of herbs on top of the meat  really didn’t taste anything more than tomato paste out of the can and the gorgonzola dressing was even worse tasting, like sour cream that had gone bad. Let's just say I didn't finish it.


My husband ordered the seared Ahi Tuna Steak which was crusted with spices served with a Thai peanut sauce, wasabi mashed potatoes and veggies. The tuna was so over seasoned with spices you couldn’t even taste the fish and the spices were extremely overwhelming and way too hot. What was even worse was the wasabi mashed potatoes tasted like raw horseradish. I don’t know about you but eating raw horseradish as a side dish is not at all appealing to me. (FYI “Wasabi” in the US is usually horseradish paste mixed with maybe a little bit of real wasabi if you are lucky and then they add food coloring to make it appear nice and green). Needless to say my husand did't finish his meal.




We were originally going to have a dessert but decided not to push our luck at this restaurant and just asked for the check. Please note that this restaurant is too pricey for such low quality food and beer that is just okay. If you are looking for a good brewery in town then try out the Phantom Canyon.




Colorado Mountain Brewery on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. This place is weird for me, because I've had very mixed experiences. When I go at lunch with friends from work, and get a half rack of ribs, its awesome. When I go for dinner, its terrible. I had the prime rib here once, and it was twice as expensive and half as good as the one at Texas Roadhouse.

    I love your blog, so keep it up! It's great to read opinions on food from a different perspective than my own (which is basically "if it moves, eat it.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! "if it moves, eat it" is an awesome food motto. The prime rib from Texas roadhouse is one of my many favs in town but this place does seem to be too expensive. Thank you for the words of encouragement; I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete