COPickyEats Colorado Springs restaurants

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Carlos Miguel's Es No Bueno



Mexican food….now this cultural delight I am extremely picky about. Maybe it is because there seems to be an interweaving of my favorite ingredient…cheese; that makes me an “expert” on Mexican food. Or it could be the fact that my mother-in-law can make some killer tamales, the world’s best homemade Spanish rice and (when I did eat pork) she has a phenomenal / mind blowningly delicious smothered green chili burritos. ßThis could be the reason why I gained 20lbs after marrying my husband.    

Yes there is a special place in my heart for Mexican food. So if you take me to a Mexican Restaurant it better be darn good. Now there are different types of Mexican food believe it or not there is more authentic which finds it roots in Mexico City and in my opinion the cooking style found a home in El Paso Texas. There is the Tex-Mex, New Mexican and then my least favorite water downed Mexican Food (mainstream Americana Mexican food i.e. on the border). My preference is for New Mexican cuisine which staple is the red or green chili that drowns unsuspecting sopaopillas, enchiladas and/or burritos.

Now that I have gone through my very long winded and scientific explanation of different types of Mexican food let’s get to the review of Carlos Miguel’s; which is located on the North East side of town, off of Powers near the new Cordera Super Target. This restaurant is swanky in its décor and the place was packed when we went for dinner on a Saturday night but we didn’t have to wait too long for a table. I do have to say the service was slow which could be just growing pains of a new restaurant but it took forever to get our food and when it came my husband’s order was wrong.



I liked the salsa it was chucky with a lot of cilantro and onion which I am a fan of but can be overpowering to some people.  We ordered the chile con queso which was rather milky and runny; it came out boiling hot but lacked the consistency that I like in my queso.



I went safe after seeing the queso and ordered the steak fajitas which ended up not having that much steak at all. The flavor was simple run of the mill fajitas; nothing special.



My in-laws got the ground beef burrito that had beans and cheese. My husband ordered a combination beef burrito and chicken enchilada but they brought him a taco and chimichanga. We had to wait for our waiter to come by to tell him that my husband's order was wrong; but they finally brought the correct order over after the rest of us were finished with our meals.



We all decided to order the sopapillas; which is one of my favorite desserts. Now this fried pastry is supposed to be light and fluffy like how my mother in law makes them. But the sopapillas came out thick and doughy. It was cute that they were heart shaped but I rather they would taste good instead of looking cute.



All in all the Carlos Miguel’s off of north powers is just an okay Mexican restaurant and Colorado Springs has plenty of those already. The food was good but it wasn’t anything that warranted a return visit.


Carlos Miguels Briargate on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment