COPickyEats Colorado Springs restaurants

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Stagecoach Inn



With the recent wildfires in our area our local economy has been hit hard since tourists have left the area and locals have sought refuge in friends/families' homes and shelters. After the evacuations were lifted in areas such as Manitou Springs; there seemed to still be something missing. The patrons of the small local shops and restaurants that line the main road, bringing commerce to the quaint town were long gone. After hearing they needed people to come into the area since the absence of tourists and locals were causing a negative impact to the local economy. I thought let’s get out up into the mountains we love and do what we do best...eat out!
 
 
 
I adore the Stagecoach Inn because of its old rustic western atmosphere which just screams Colorado. You can sit out front in the summer and watch all the interesting characters walking along the sidewalk or view the Harley's roaring up and down the street. They also have seating in the back deck facing the creek so you can listen to the trees blowing in the warm summer air and the babbling creek below. We decided to sit inside but still had a view of the street; I enjoy people watching.

Now I know that a portion of the restaurant was built in the late 1800's and the main part of the restaurant was built later in the early 1900's. This place has an at home western feel with the warm fireplace in the winter and creaky floor boards included.





They have an extensive menu but I always know exactly what I want when we come to this cozy restaurant. First we begin with their fried mushrooms and fried zucchini (why does everything taste so good fried?) The fried mushrooms are simple battered and deep fried it is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. We also ordered the fried zucchini coins but these suckers weren’t“coins” but huge juicy slices of zucchini lightly battered to a nice crunch. The zucchini comes with a cucumber ranch sauce which is creamy and freshening.






The reason I love this restaurant is for the fried chicken which takes a long time to prepare since it isn’t frozen crap like other restaurants. Perhaps do what we did and order some appetizers or salads so you are not starving and about to eat your arm off before the chicken comes. Or even better you could order the biscuits. I always devour the warm and flaky biscuits every time we order them; they also come with a raspberry chutney which I enjoyed since it wasn’t too sweet.  










This is homemade fried chicken which has a perfectly crunchy light brown skin and juicy succulent meat inside. The dish is huge with four pieces; two dark meat and two white, mashed potatoes and green bean medley. I usually share with my husband since I can’t eat a whole plate by myself; but for a person with hearty appetite you won’t be disappointed in the portion. The meat is so tender and juicy not to mention the aromatic scent of fried chicken is divine! (If there was a fried chicken perfume I would totally wear it). I do enjoy the yellow and green beans which are lightly peppered and I thought the mashed potatoes were scrumptious. But my husband and my father-in-law do not care for the mashed potatoes because they find them too salty. I figure it is just a matter of preference so the boys usually order a baked potato on the side.  I am always extremely full and satisfied when I leave the Stagecoach Inn and sometimes a little sleepy probably because that is what any good comfort food will do to you.




So if you are in the mood for some good home cooking or if you want to show your support for the local area by making a small boost to the economy in Manitou Springs. Please try the Stagecoach Inn but be sure to have hearty appetite or bring along someone who you can share a good meal with.



Stagecoach Inn on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Isn’t it nice to have a place outside the city where you can enjoy good ambiance and good food? My family and I have this favorite place in Nantucket where the locals are very nice and accommodating. The environment is just breathtaking, and the food they have in their restaurants are all fresh.

    Macy Arevalo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t it nice to have a place outside the city where you can enjoy good ambiance and good food? My family and I have this favorite place in Nantucket where the locals are very nice and accommodating. The environment is just breathtaking, and the food they have in their restaurants are all fresh.

    Macy Arevalo

    ReplyDelete